Kalene Mission Hospital is in the northwest corner of Zambia, approximately 20 kilometres from the borders of Angola and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Dr Walter Fisher commenced the medical work in 1905 from his home on Kalene Hill. The current hospital facility at the foot of the hill was built in the 1950's. The hospital has approximately 180 beds and provides inpatient and outpatient services including maternity, paediatrics, general medicine, infectious diseases, malnutrition and surgery.
The hospital is part of a network of mission stations under the auspices of Christian Missions in Many Lands (CMML). It has its own constitution, and a hospital board. Over the last ten years there have been a number of significant developments at the hospital. This has helped the hospital to improve the quality of medical care to the local population.
Although the hospital is in
a very isolated area there are a number of regional factors and advantages which
have supported the ongoing work and development of the hospital. Regionally the
hospital, which is central to the Lunda tribal area continues to be the major
health facility for a large geographical area (which includes a corner of three
Advantages include the hospital being close to the Zambezi river, and from 2007 it has been provided with reliable 24 hour electricity as a result of the Zengamina hydroelectric project. There is both the opportunity and space to renovate and expand hospital buildings, with recent renovations being supported by the Zambian Government, Brass Tacks and the Beit Trust. There is a flight service and nursing school facility on site and Sakeji primary school is about 20 km away.
Instructions on how to get to Kalene.